Friday 5th March 2021
Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Roderic O’Gorman, T.D., has today announced a new LGBTI+ Youth Leadership Programme aimed at LGBTI+ young people.
The LGBTI+ Youth Leadership Programme will be run by Foróige in collaboration with BelongTo and is open to applications from all LBGTI+ young people. The Programme aims to enable LGBTI+ young people to develop the skills, inspiration, vision, confidence, and action plans to be effective leaders and to empower LGBTI+ young people to make a positive difference to their society and their communities through the practice of effective leadership.
Reflecting the importance of the voice of young people in the LGBTI+ National Youth Strategy, the LGBTI+ Youth Forum was central to the development of the Programme which was informed by their views. One of their priorities for this year, was to see LGBTI+ young leaders be the change-makers in schools, colleges, sports and youth clubs, as well as local communities and families. Young members of the Forum said:
“I’m really enthusiastic about the leadership programme and excited about the educational benefit and experience, I think it will be very beneficial to LGBTQI youth in Ireland.”
“This exciting programme is a great opportunity for the LGBTI+ leaders of today and tomorrow.”
“This programme gives LGBTI+ Youth something for them that is recognised. It gives us hope for the future to come and for our youth.”
“It’s a proud day for the LGBTI+ community when we are given this opportunity to flourish.”
Launching the programme, Minister O’Gorman said, “I am delighted to announce the launch of this LGBTI+ Youth Leadership Programme, supporting LGBTI+ young people to develop their leadership skills and build a better world for their peers. The Programme will harness the passion, drive and idealism of our LGBTI+ young people to lead their communities in creating a better society for all of us. This is a key action of the LGBTI+ National Youth Strategy and I am very proud to invite LGBTI+ young people to apply to take part.”
Moninne Griffith, CEO of BeLonG To Youth Services, said:
“We are thrilled to collaborate with the Department of Children, Disability, Equality, Integration and Youth, Foróige, and the LGBTI+ Youth Forum to launch the LGBTI+ Youth Leadership Programme.
Young people of today are the next generation of CEOs, politicians, teachers, and leaders. With this initiative, we will empower LGBTI+ young people to harness their leadership skills and become change-makers across Irish society, bringing more diverse voices to decision-making tables.
Building strong youth leadership is core to creating a fairer, more inclusive Ireland where LGBTI+ young people feel safe, equal, and valued.”
HOW TO APPLY:
More details on the LGBTI+ Youth Leadership Programme and how to apply are available with this online registration form. Closing date for applications: Tuesday the 23rd of March at 12 noon.
Notes to Editor:
- The Department of Children, Disability, Equality, Integration and Youth supports and encourages young people to be leaders and future leaders, and has launched the LGBTI+ Youth Leadership Programme specifically aimed at developing the young LGBTI+ leaders of the future.
- This fulfils action 5(d) of the LGBTI+ National Youth Strategy to develop a leadership programme for young LGBTI+ leaders and potential leaders.
- Plans and requirements for the LGBTI+ Youth Leadership Programme were developed by the LGBTI+ Youth Forum, a diverse group of 25 young people aged from 16 to 22 years, who identify as LGBTI+ and who support implementation of the LGBTI+ National Youth Strategy.
- Foróige, in conjunction with BeLonG To, adapted their “Leadership for Life” Programme to meet those requirements and to provide an appropriate programme for LGBTI+ and ally young leaders and potential leaders. The Foróige Leadership for Life Programme was developed over 10 years ago in partnership with NUI, Galway.
- The programme will be delivered online, with a mixture of interactive and engaging methodologies to meet the learning outcomes and objectives.
- Two of the three modules are taught and participants have the option of completing a third self-directed module in order to achieve a Level 6 certificate from NUIG.
Celebrity hairdresser Andrew Fitzsimons talks about the importance of LGBTQ+ allies during Stand Up Awareness Week.
Stand Up Awareness Week, Ireland’s largest LGBTQ+ anti-bullying campaign, takes place from November 6-10, 2023 Celebrity hairdresser ...Read more
Why we decided to leave Twitter/X
Our vision is a society where LGBTQ+ young people are equal, safe and thriving This includes both offline and online spaces At Belong ...Read more
Belong To Welcomes Government Commitment to Outlaw Conversion Practices
Belong To Welcomes Government Commitment to Outlaw Conversion Practices Belong To strongly welcomes Minister O’Gorman’s ...Read more