Taking care of your body is a powerful first step towards minding your mental and emotional health.
The mind and the body are linked. When you improve your physical health, you’ll automatically experience greater mental and emotional wellbeing. Exercise not only strengthens our heart and lungs, but also releases endorphins, powerful chemicals that energise us and lift our mood.
The activities you engage in and the daily choices you make affect the way you feel physically and emotionally. Here are some tips to help you take care of your physical wellbeing.
- Get enough rest: To have good mental and emotional health, it’s important to take care of your body. That includes getting enough sleep. Most people need seven to eight hours of sleep each night so that they can feel their best.
- Learn about the food you eat: Nutrition can be a bit complicated and it is not always easy to put healthy eating habits into practice. Taking small steps can make a big difference. Learn about what you eat, how it affects your energy and mood, and try to introduce healthy eating habits into your life. Our friends at Spunout share some great tips here.
- Exercise: Exercise is a powerful remedy to relieve stress and anxiety, and support you when you are feeling low. Look for small ways to add activity to your day, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator or going on a short walk. To get the most mental health benefits, aim for 30 minutes or more of exercise every day.
- Steal a moment of sunshine: Sunlight lifts your mood, so try to get at least 10 to 15 minutes of sun per day. This can be done while exercising, socialising or eating your lunch outdoors.
- Avoid binging: Consider how much alcohol, drugs and cigarettes/vape you consume and think about limiting your intake.
- Get help: If you are experiencing stress, anxiety, depression, self-harming or thinking about suicide, you are not alone. Talk to a friend, family member, teacher or youth worker. You can visit your GP or talk to a therapist as part of the free counselling service we offer in partnership with Pieta.