When your child comes out as LGBTQ+, it is normal to experience mixed emotions. Some parents feel a sense of loss that the person they knew so well seems to have changed. Others worry for their child’s safety or what the neighbours and other family members will think.
You are not alone in this experience. These are common feeling of parents who have learned that their child is LGBTQ+. You are here because you want to support your child. But you also need to support yourself.
Parents and caregivers play an important role in supporting a young person who has come out as LGBTQ+. The support services we offer at Belong To are primarily to provide support to young people. In doing this, you are welcome to meet with us or talk to us as we support your child.
We recommend that you connect your child with one of our youth groups. We support LGBTQ+ youth groups around Ireland where your child can meet like-minded people, talk about their experiences, and have some fun. All of our Youth Groups are facilitated by experienced Youth Workers who can support your child around their gender and sexual orientation.
- Cork Parents of LGB Children: This group for children of all ages meets the second Friday of every month at 7pm in LINC (11a, White St, Cork). Call 021 480 8600 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Galway: SHOUT! Telephone Anne-Marie at (087) 773 8529.
- Limerick and Ennis: Rainbow at Red Ribbon Project run a support group in Ennis for parents of LGBT people on the last Wednesday of each month from 8pm to 9.30pm. For more information, contact Red Ribbon Project: Phone 061 310 101 Monday to Friday 9.30am–5.30pm.
- Shannon: LGBT Support – Shannon. Telephone Régine/Adele at (061) 707 600.
- Roscommon: TLC (Tuismitheoirí le Cheile/Parents Together) offer a safe and supportive space for the parents of LGBTI+ young people. They meet from 7-9pm on the last Monday of every month in The Melting Pot, Castle St, Roscommon town. For more information, call 083 897 9280.
- TransParenCi Cork: This support group is for parents and family members of transgender children and adults. The group meet on the third Friday of every month from 7.30pm-9.30pm in LINC (11a, White St, Cork). Call TENI (Transgender Equality Network Ireland) on 01-873 3575 for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TransParenCI Limerick: TransParenCI is a peer support group for parents and family members of trans people; GOSHH (Gender Orientation Sexual Health HIV), Redwood Place, 18 Davis Street, Limerick. The meetings are held on the 3rd Monday of every month. Call GOSHH on 061 314 354 or email email@example.com
- TransParenCI Dublin: TransParenCI is a peer support group for parents and family members of trans people. The meetings are held on the 1st Wednesday of every month. For more info contact TENI (Transgender Equality Network Ireland) at 01 873 3575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting LGBTQ+ Young People At Home
Learn about sexual orientation, gender identity and how you can support an LGBTQ+ young person in your life.Learn More
Find a Youth Group
LGBTQ+ youth groups are safe and welcoming places to meet other LGBTQ+ young people, share your experiences, hang out, chat and make friends.Sign Up