Training allows us to equip professionals, organisations and services to understand and meet the needs of LGBTQ+ youth.
Educators and Youth Workers Supporting LGBTQ+ Young People
This interactive training includes videos, exercises and quizzes to equip you to become better at listening to, understanding, responding to, and supporting LGBTQ+ young people – ensuring that you become part of a positive story in their lives. This certified training is a great way for teachers to fulfil some of their Croke Park Hours.
As part of the training, you will learn about:
- Terminology and language
- LGBTQ+ mental health
- Managing our own attitude and bias
- Gender and young people: nonbinary and transgender identities
- Coming out
- Improving your practice
What do I get?
How to get started
- Visit www.training.belongto.org/learn
- Select the course: Creating LGBT+ inclusive Schools and Youth Services with Belong To.
- Click the button ‘Create new account’.
We hope at the end of this programme participants will:
- Know the challenges faced by LGBTQ+ young people in Ireland.
- Understand the policies that affect young LGBTQ+ people and their relevance to their work.
- Understand that many of us have some subconscious biases regarding LGBTQ+ identities and learn techniques to manage these.
- Develop confidence in responding appropriately if a young person comes out to them.
- Understand language and terminology relating to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Know how to support a young person who is questioning their gender identity.
- Know how to challenge homophobic, biphobic and transphobic language if they hear it.
- Know what steps to take to make their organisation more inclusive of LGBTQ+ young people.