This is a course to support volunteers in the community to learn about inclusive language and feel confident supporting LGBTQ+ young people in your community. We are grateful to Bank of Ireland for supporting this online course.
This interactive course includes videos, exercises, and quizzes to equip you to become better at listening to, understanding, responding to, and supporting LGBTQ+ young people – ensuring that you become part of a positive story in their lives.
As part of the training, you will learn about:
- Terminology and language
- LGBTQ+ mental health
- Managing our own attitude and bias
- Gender and young people: nonbinary and transgender identities
- Coming out
- Improving your practice
What do I get?
How to get started
- Visit www.training.belongto.org/learn
- Select the course: Creating LGBT+ inclusive Schools and Youth Services with Belong To.
- Click the button ‘Create new account’.
We hope at the end of this programme participants will:
- Know the challenges faced by LGBTQ+ young people in Ireland.
- Understand the policies that affect young LGBTQ+ people and their relevance to their work.
- Understand that many of us have some subconscious biases regarding LGBT+ and learn techniques to manage these.
- Develop confidence in responding appropriately if a young person comes out to them.
- Understand language and terminology relating to sexuality and gender.
- Know how to support a young person who is questioning their gender identity.
- Know how to challenge homophobic or transphobic language if they hear it.
- Know what steps to take to make their organisation more inclusive of LGBTQ+ young people.